- Blind Industries & Services of Maryland (BISM) was established in 1908 by the Maryland General Assembly as a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. BISM nurtures a culture that promotes open communication, teamwork and trust while offering comprehensive rehabilitation programs and evolving employment opportunities for blind and low vision people of all ages.
- Working with associates to achieve independence and personal growth is their most important objective, because they believe in the powerful capabilities of all blind people.
- Each year they provide programs and services that serve over 2000 blind Maryland citizens.
- BISM employs 500 exceptional associates at our eleven facilities in Maryland, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Kentucky and North Carolina where we manufacture the highest quality products. (http://www.bism.org/about)
- To positively change peoples attitudes about blindness.
- To provide stable career opportunities, innovative rehabilitation program, quality products and services and to develop resources for training and education.
- To be an internationally recognized leader whose associates provide evolving opportunities for blind people and others.
- To adhere to the core values of belief in the capabilities of blind people, honesty, integrity, trust, teamwork, and open communication.
|Donald J. Morris – Chairperson||Dr. Walter A. Brown Vice – Chairperson||James R. Berens – Treasurer||Dr. William E. Hadlock – Secretary|
*PRICING COMMITTEE FOR BLIND INDUSTRIES & SERVICES OF MARYLAND Staff: Gregg Kalifut (410) 737-2616
- ACCOUNTING; William F. Gielner, Controller (410) 737-2612
- COMMUNICATIONS: Christina T. Davis, Director (410) 737-2638
- HUMAN RESOURCES: Stacey Craig, Manager (410) 737-2626
- INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY: James Carr, Manager (410) 737-2605
- SALES & MARKETING: Gregg Kalifut, Director (410) 737-2627
*INDUSTRIES DIVISION Jack Grizzel, Chief Operating Officer (410) 737-2600
*RETAIL DIVISION Kenneth Barnett, Director (202) 563-2217
*VENDING SERVICES DIVISION John Ward, General Manager (410) 737-2602
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Community Outreach Programs
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Employment/Job Training
- Information and Referral
- Low Vision Services
- Recreation Services
- Support Groups
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Recreation Services & Camps
- Consultation/Technical Program Assistance
- Professional In-service Training
For seniors: (http://www.bism.org/seniors)
- Center-Based Training Programs
- In-Home Teaching
- Residential Senior Retreats
- Community-Based Workshops
- Monthly Support Group Meetings